Tom Pratt Skills Camp
Why Should I attend the Tom Pratt Skills Camp?
It is the first camp of the year and will ensure that your group gets the year started right. There are many programs offered by the Tom Pratt skills Camp, programs designed to be fun and instructive for Scouts and Ventures of all stages:
- The Woodsman Program has been developed so 1st year Scouts get their permits for: knife, stove & lantern, match & fire, and axe & saw. 1st year Scouts also learn basic shelters, knots, and winter backpacking skills. This program is will give Scouts a hands-on experience to aid in the learning process. Scouts will be rotating through programs throughout the day. Each program will last one hour with about 20 minutes of instruction time, followed by hands-on use and practice.
- While 1st year Scouts are getting permits, 2nd and 3rd year Scouts can do Pioneering and get their Pioneering badge at the end of the camp.
- Second and Third year Scouts can take the Leadership program and FAST training. The Leadership program is for those Patrol Leaders and Assistant Patrol Leaders who wish to develop better leadership skills. This group of Scouts with their mentors, will be responsible for Saturday’s Ceremonial Campfire and Sunday’s Scouts Own.
- Media Magic and Culinary Skills are for second and third year Scouts to learn new skills and ideas. Media Magic participants will learn photography and video skills. Culinary Skills participants will learn how to make gourmet meals at a reasonable cost and kitchen set-up.
- Finally, First Aid will be open to 3rd year Scouts, Venturers, and registered Adults. Priority will be given to Youth participants.
- Scouts will be divided into groups for the weekend, and will rotate through each activity. Each group will be given score cards for each activity, so Scouters will be able to track the development of youth for further badges to be earned.
- Tom Pratt Skills Camp requires a certain amount of volunteers to step up and run activities, if there are not enough volunteers, Scouters will be asked to help. Volunteers can request which program they want to volunteer for, but spots are on a first come first served basis.
- We all learn by doing, and seeing how others do it…
For more information, visit the Tom Pratt webpage
These programs are available for all 2nd and 3rd year Scouts, and focus on teaching specialized skills like Pioneering and Leadership. Each program will test the Scout’s ability to work together to achieve a difficult task, as well as the ability to come up with a solution as an individual. Also offered, is the Culinary Skills program. Scouts will learn new ways to create healthy, affordable–and most importantly–delicious meals for camps. Scouts will learn a variety of meals that can be cooked at home before camp, as well as on the trail during camp. First Aid is also available for 3rd year Scouts, Ventures, Rovers, and Scouters. The program spans all three days of camp, and participants will learn standard First Aid and CPR. There is a maximum of 30 participants, and attendees must be there at 7pm on Friday. Program details can be found here: